Saturday 15 March 2014

White Wash Watercolour Technique

Hey!

Today I thought I would share a few more cards which we made during the class at The Paperlane on Saturday, using a white wash technique that I came across. I made 3 cards using the technique...




This first card uses the Gerbera from Pure Florals: Gerbera which will be back in stock in the next couple of weeks.




We also used the Chrysanthemum from Pure Florals: Chrysanthemum...




There are only a few steps to achieving this look which are really simple which I have shown in picture format.

1. Stamp your chosen outline image in VersaMark or white pigment ink onto kraft card stock & emboss with white embossing powder. (You can use other colours of card stock as I will show you further down the post. I saw it done on the kraft & loved the look).




Stamping & embossing the image helps with the next couple of steps, keeping the white wash & colours inside! 

2. Next is applying the white wash. I used the lid of my white pigment ink as a pallet, but you could use a craft mat or piece of acetate. Smoosh some white pigment ink onto it and using fine watercolour brush and a small amount of water paint the image...




3. The next step is to start adding colour...




You want to choose fairly bright colours as over laying them over the white wash & blending them mutes them some what. For the pink Gerbera I used Melon Mambo & Regal Rose and for the Chrysanthemum I used Pumpkin Pie & Summer Sun. 

Using the same technique and supplies as applying the white wash I started adding the colours. In the picture above in the top right I have shown just the Pumpkin Pie added to areas of the petals and to the lower left I have used the Summer Sun & blended them to create a natural look. When I painted the original I did all the dark shaded areas with Pumpkin Pie first then I went over with the Summer Sun and if necessary went back adding more Pumpkin Pie if needed.

4. Once the whole image was painted, I went over with a dry baby wipe to remove any colour which had gone onto the white embossed lines.




It's quite a lengthy process, but it is relaxing and enjoyable and I think the results are beautiful! In this next photo I experimented & used black card stock. I used exactly the same colours as the Chrysanthemum on kraft card.




Both look stunning, but I do prefer the kraft version better. It is on my to do list to experiment with other colours of card stock! 

Along with the two floral cards I decided to use the technique on a one layer card using one of the doilies from Decorative Doilies - The Hands Of Time...




Again I started out by stamping the doily in VersaMark & embossing with white. I then applied the white wash. For the colours I kept it simple and I haven't done any blending...




I started with SU! Bermuda Bay which is a bright turquoise colour. I used a really fine watercolour brush to apply the colour to the spokes of the doily. I then used a retired SU! colour Baja Breeze which is a pale turquoise colour to fill in the other areas of the doily. Even with just applying flat watercolour a stunning result is achieved!

I hope that I have explained the technique to you all so that you can give it a try. If there is anything you are unsure of just leave me a comment to which I will reply or send me an email & I will reply by email.

Ok, that's all from me just now,  I will be back later to announce the WINNER of the March DT Blog Hope prize. Until then, thank you for stopping by :)


Supplies:
Card Stock: SU! Crumb Cake. PTI Autumn Rose & Melon Berry Black from stash
Ink: VersaMark. Memories White Pigment Ink. SU! Melon Mambo, Regal Rose, Pumpkin Pie, Summer Sun (retired) Bermuda Bay & Baja Breeze (retired).
Accessories: Water Colour Brush, Corner Rounder, Embroidery Floss, Foam Adhesive, Button & SU! Island Indigo Bakers Twine.

20 comments:

  1. These are stunning Bev ... I'm blown away by how much dimension there appears to be, even though the stamping's direct to the card ... breathtaking! Can't wait to get my hands on Pure Florals:Gerbera ... it's been in my wish book for a while and I'm so pleased to hear it's coming back into stock! I'll keep my eyes peeled ... wouldn't want to miss it! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh this is so pretty and a great new technique for me to try. Just love how they have turned out. Just the one question please, you mentioned Pumpkin Pie and Summer Sun, who makes these please?
    ....see I told you I was a newbie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Stampin' Up! Inks available through a demonstrator / catalogue. On the website http://www.stampinup.com/home/en-GB/home you can send an email to be put in touch with your nearest demonstrator to be able to order. Most of the colours I use are still available except the summer sun is a retired colour. I always list the make & products under the supplies. Hugs Bev x

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for letting me know...now I know what SU means, thanks again....crafty hugs Beverley x

      Delete
  3. They all look fabulous. I love the gerbera daisy and the hands of time doily. Must have a go at this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO delighted that you have shown us how to do this technique. The results are stunning and I can't wait to try it!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beverly these are absolutely gorgeous. I'm definitely going to have to try this technique

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love the effect this gives - thanks for the instructions on how to do it. It makes up for Northallerton being too far away for me to attend one of your workshops! ( a little bit!)
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cards. Worth the extra time. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super technique! Thanks for sharing; I'll try this one for sure! The cards are so beautiful and elegant... Enjoy your day, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, WOW and WOW, Bev~these are stunning! Thank you for sharing the technique; for someone (pick me!) who struggles with water-colouring, this is an awesome alternative! Colouring in the lines; love it *grin* I'm heading back to gaze and admire for a bit longer - then adding this to my 'must do' list! Again, simple elevated to stunning - your signature style!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are stunning Beverley and an amazing technique so thanks for sharing. I particularly love the Gerbera and doily as those colours just pop. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love this effect! Thanks so much for sharing how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You explained it perfectly Bev and I love the look. I am with you on the Kraft. And I love the doily card with the pop of red. I wonder if I will have the patience to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Bev, these are all beautiful. Love the technique and the Delightful Doilies set is looking very tempting...Cx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing post, Bev! I love the way you colored the flowers. I can't decide which one I like the best, they are all stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh these look so pretty :) Love that white edging - must remember this technique. Beautiful cards !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this technique Bev. Such a stunning effect. Whose kraft cardstock do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great technique - love the effect on Kraft! I will have to give it a try. By the way I have only just seen your fab baby news - big congrats!! I hope you are keeping well :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fab technique...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Comments Appreciated