Thursday 15 February 2018

DT Inspiration - Paper Piecing

Good morning, it's Deborah here with you today! I do hope everyone is enjoying the 6th Birthday Treasure Hunt. I know, it must be a bit of a surprise - this is my second DT inspiration slot this month :) I got the idea for this set of cards from The Flower Challenge where they want us to use the paper piecing technique. If you're anything like me, you have a vast collection of design papers in your stash, along with lots of little bits you saved - just in case! Well, this technique is a great way to use up some of those scraps.

It's a very simple technique - you simply stamp your image on patterned papers and then build up a finished image using all the little bits. Here are a few photos showing how these cards started out:

 

As you can see I made several cards using this technique. My first card is a CAS floral design:


I used Pure Florals Cosmos on the first card. I stamped the flowers on white card and pink design papers. I used the two flowers as well as the single flower. I carefully cut out the individual pieces, edged them with a black marker to hide the white core and then adhered them to the white card. The flowers on the edge are exactly as they are stamped, but the centre bunch was made by adding a single flower behind the two. I used my Scan'N'Cut to cut out the images. I adhered the flowers in a line, the outside ones are flat to the card and I used dimensional tape for the centre bunch. I finished the front with a simple greeting and some little gems.

I was having such fun with this technique that I made several more cards. My son has just moved house and I need a card for him, so it was the perfect opportunity to get out Home Sweet Home. I used some scraps from a masculine set of design papers. I used the stencil Broken Lines to give a subtle design to the background.


The year is moving on quite quickly and it won't be long before Easter comes along. I used Some Bunny to make my card. It could just as easily have been for a baby, but I need Easter cards. I had such fun making the little bunny out of scraps and I added some sparkle to his feet and belly.


My last two cards are for my Christmas stash. I used Pure Florals Poinsettia - it's such a beautiful flower and layers very easily. Once again, I used my Scan'N'Cut to cut out the image that I stamped on white card, and then layered on the images that I cut out from design paper.



One has a more contemporary look and the other, while still quite CAS, has a more traditional feel. Thank you for stopping by, I do hope that you'll give this simple, but fun technique a try. See you again soon.




5 comments:

  1. Beautiful use of paper piecing ! I loved your cards deborah , thanks for sharing how you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards! I always forget I can use paper piecing to do some alternative 'colouring' and use up some of the papers I have been hoarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love paper piecing, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic paper piecing! I've strayed away from this technique (not so great with the scissors, what with my poor eyesight), but you've certainly sparked inspiration to give it a go yet again! The bunny...ack! Soooo cute!
    Hugs~carol

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Comments Appreciated